'i've dreamed myself a thousand times around the world'

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Foz Do Iguaçu in 2 days

Its been awhile and I have been traveling so much that its hard to remember where I left off, or where to begin. I guess the most logical point is at Foz do Iguaçu with Megan.
Megan and I dashed around the Brazil side of the falls late friday afternoon and as we commented on the beautiful weather it started to rain, hard. It didn't last too long, well long enough for me to duck into the souvenir shop and buy a t-shirt. Brazil offers a more panoramic view of the falls, which is totally breathtaking but nothing compared to the Argentine side. Argentina owns 70% of the falls and therefore has much more infrastructure for tourists and well, just more waterfalls.
We started the morning out in Argentina with a jeep ride through the rainforest followed by a speedboat ride under the waterfalls. While it sounds really cool to whiz under and through waterfalls, when you're actually directly underneath the waterfall there is so much water everywhere that you have to keep your eyes closed and your head down because of the speed and pressure the water falls at. Still, you are driving under a giant waterfall which is pretty cool.
We parked on an island in between some falls for lunch and attempted to dry off. Luckily we had been warned and not only wore our bathing suits on the boatride but brought extra clothes for the duration of the day. The clouds were just beginning to burn off and for the rest of the day we were able to enjoy a completely sunny day.
We treked around catwalks and little hiking trails the rest of the day. In the 8 hours we spent at the argentine waterfalls I think I took a total of 100 pictures, all of waterfalls. It's amazing how they never get old.

At the end of the day we took a train out to garganta del diablo (devils throat). This is a massive u-shaped waterfall that is about 500 feet wide and 2300 feet tall, and is by far the most spectacular sight to see. Talk about feeling insignificant next to something of that size and power.
By the time we reached home we were both worn out, but of course not too worn out to join in some boozing next to the pool in the hostel.
All day I had had this uncontrollable desire for corn on the cob. So after a stop at the atm (because i didn't even have enough money to buy corn on the cob) then a trip to the store, then finding someone to light the stove (because I don't do gas stoves) the water was well on its way to boiling and the stove ran out of gas! After several drinks to ease the cravings, a few chicken fights in the pool (which I obviously dominated) I finally had my corn on the cob at around 12am. Shortly after, I had had enough Iguaçu so I took my corn filled belly to bed.
That was my last night in Brazil (our hostel was on the Brazil side of the waterfalls) and it was an excellent end to a 2.5 month stay in the country.
The next afternoon I offically crossed over into Argentina and hopped on a bus to the roaring town of Posadas. Posadas is by no means roaring and frankly I had a hard time finding a grocery store. But I was only there for one day and then it was on to Argentina Norte.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Natalie! Hey!!!

I unearthed the link to your blog from my secondspace archives and just finished reading all of your posts. What a fabulous trip you're having - and I'm jealous (but you know that). Anyway...just want to say "hi" - and I've got your blog bookmarked now. Take care...eileen (formerly SecondSpace now working and loving life in Raleigh, NC)