'i've dreamed myself a thousand times around the world'

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Buenos Aires in a Nut Shell

Seeing Dave again was a bit surreal. I had been on my own for 3 months that I had gotten so used to having only myself to rely on. But it took all of 5 minutes for us to get back into the usual routine of making fun and teasing each other.
It was so good to have someone to share my trip with. Someone I will be able to recall memories with, because we all know one of my favorite things to do is play 'remember that time.'
We took in the usual sights, Evita's grave and museum, tango lessons and a tango dinner show, walks through the botanical gardens, bike trips through some parks, the antique markets in San Telmo and the 'Caminito' (a series of streets set up purely for tourists with people supposedly spontaneously Tango-ing in the streets) in La Boca.
Buenos Aires has got to be the most beautiful major city in all of Central and South America. It is a massive city with a bus system that requires a college degree to figure out.
Dave and I stayed in Palermo which is the young trendy area all the cool young people want to be seen in. There are about 20 billion restaurants in Palermo which is one of the many reasons I could have stayed in BA for much longer. While we ate out at least 2 times a day we didn't even scratch the surface of the massive restaurant industry. I must have had steak 5 nights in a row, but I'm not complaining because it was so delicious.
I spent my 24th birthday in Buenos Aires. I usually have a big dinner or night out with all my friends for my birthday, so I was a bit sad when my birthday rolled around and my close friends weren't there to share it with me. But I did have a few friends in BA at the time so we hit the town for some good old fashion celebrating with copious amounts of food followed by some binge drinking.
On one of our last days in Buenos Aires we hit up the world famous religious theme park called Tierra Santa. The whole idea of having a theme park recreating stories from the bible seems a bit sac religious, but if Argentines don't see it, as Dave would say, as 'taking the piss' then why not.
I literally had to hold myself back from hysterical laugher the entire time I was there. There aren't actually any rides at the park, just live reenactments of things such as Jesus' trail and shows that star mechanical life size dolls that recreate scenes such as the creation or the last supper.
The more I thought about, the bible does provide some good stories for actual theme park with rides. What about a water ride for the flood and Noah's Arc? I'm thinking about sending my ideas to Tierra Santa....
If you ever get the chance to check the place out I highly recommend it. You definitely won't find this anywhere else in the world.
8 days after arriving we set out for the coastal town of Mar Del Plata for some beach days and relaxing.

No comments: