'i've dreamed myself a thousand times around the world'

Friday, March 02, 2007

Boa Viagem

As I sit here and type this my hours left in Salvador tick away. I had my going away dinner last night at Habibs, and besides a few people who found plastic in their food, it was fabulous.
My last day at work was bittersweet. The kids are too young to understand that I am not coming back, so it was tchau as usual for them. I am going to miss them all terribly. Being with them everyday for the last 2 months has opened my eyes to a lot of things and taught me some important lessons in patience and discipline. They are all such jems.
The nuns wished me a boa viagem, and gave me the addresses of a few other Mother Teresa's in South America. I would like to visit the one in La Paz when I meet up with Lexi, and when I inquired as to the safety of the area it is in, the nuns said it was very dangerous and 'people would make me have nothing.' Then one of the nuns reached into her pocket and took out a Mother Teresa, Virgin Mary necklace, placed it around my neck and told me the Lord would always watch over me. Coming from her, I believe it.
I can't believe it's time to pack up and go. I am meeting my friend Jocelyn in the Amazon. It will be nice to see a familiar face and explore together. I am assuming they don't have the internet in the Amazon, so see you in Rio!

No comments: