'i've dreamed myself a thousand times around the world'

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Setting Sail

Just one day to go until I get on one of my many flights that will eventually land me in Salvador, Brazil.
I received an email last night confirming my placement with the partner organization Madre Tereza, Missionaries of Charity. The organization was founded by none other than Mother Teresa in 1950. The first house was opened in Brazil in 1979. The brief description tells me that, “the sisters serve the poorest of the poor. Working with abandoned women, the elderly, and malnourished children, the organization receives no help from the government.”
I’m not exactly sure what I will be doing there, but am very excited! I guess my dreams of micro-finance will have to wait until next time.
So assuming nothing goes drastically wrong I will post again from Brazil!

1 comment:

Henry said...

Yo natalie -

I didn't even know you were taking off, but it sounds cool. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Also, if you're interested in micro-credit i should hook you up with my sister-in-law she graduated from the Kennedy School (harvard) last spring and has done a lot of work with micro credit for women in South America, Nepal and Germany.

Have fun!